2.27.2011

Covered Bridge and Farms

Ah so its still pretty much winter here in good ole' PA. But today we got lucky with a warm (and not so windy) day, unlike the past few chilly days. I am really excited for summer, my flip flops are waiting for me to call their names. But this fine day I took the advantage of having my dad's jeep all day. After church, my sister and I went for a picnic lunch outside the Griesemers' covered bridge. Being out there in the country side just reminded me of my home roots of PA. Its something I love to come back to and think about how hard my ancestors worked to create such an awesome area. They not only worked on the farms, building beautiful structures like these bridges and barns, but how resourceful they were. They pulled stone from the land, wood from the trees. They lived off the land. Look at the Amish of Lancaster county, they still live off the land. All their home, wonderfully made products they still use today can be found out their... Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era. Being an artist, painting these types of scenes here in PA seemed more popular two hundred years ago. I should've been born in that time period, and I could learn sewing and handicraft from my mother and maybe paint (if I was lucky enough.) The good thing about living in this century is definitely women's rights have improved so much. In the 18th century, it'd be really hard for me to get the permission to go paint, since I'm a girl. But then I think, what if I was a boy, I could possibly have the opportunity.

Anyways with my ranting and dreaming. I saw this magnificent bridge in my backyard, took some awesome pictures. A few that I plan to paint and draw in the next couple months.



This is the bridge.




This is the barn I LOVED.



The old farm house owned by the family who built the bridge. It was so inspiring I took a picture of the broken old window.

Well that was my adventure. I hope you enjoyed it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment