4.10.2011

Writer Interview

Since this post will be extra long with not only interview questions, but an example of her work, I will keep the introduction short. This is about my friend, Marlane, of whom I've known for several years now. She is a great writer, dreamer and wonder and has always been a dramatic romantic. I really don't know much about that sorta thing, but I'd like to share with you her classy yet creative personality. I give you, Marlane. 
 
Name: Marlane
Hobbies/Interests: Write, listen to music, dream, ponder etc. 
 
Do you think that creativity involves putting your heart and soul into your work? Or is it more like letting your mind flow freely to witness the surprising results of your actions?
I think it is a strange mixture of both. If you don't put your heart and soul into your work, it wont be the best you could possibly make it, yet, if you don't let your mind wonder, you will never be able to explore the dark crevasses of your mind.

Do you critique your own work? Explain.
ALL THE TIME! I am a perfectionist when it comes to everything that I do, and I will post something, and if I look at my writings again, I can pick out the things that I could change to make it better, so I chose not to re-read things sometimes because sometimes when you write something and let your mind flow, it is the best your writing can be.

What inspires you?
Everything...well not everything, but when I am observant and something so miniscule could strike me and I become inspired. :)

If your creative work were edible, what would it taste like?
If my writings were edible, it would taste like...hmmm I have no idea hahaha. I think it would be one of those strange foods that you have to eat the entire thing before you can decide whether you like it or not...aka it requires you to think.

If you could choose a theme song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I wouldn't have one. Life is constantly changing, and there is no song that can EVER be created to encompass an entire life.

In relation to you work, how does the Christian faith influence you?
To be honest, I don't really think it does. I write about things that strike me, and my opinions come into play (if I am writing about something unusual), but I feel like my faith influences my actions, not my writing ability.

And here is some of her work: 

      After studying the Romantic Period a couple of months ago, I realized that I am a “Romantic” and I don’t mean in the relationship kind of way. I am completely in love with nature (seeing beauty in even the simplest of things), and living in a false world created by my mind and memories. Now that I am an adult, I wish that I could fulfill some of my deepest wishes.

One of my deepest wishes is to become a child again. One quote I really relate to, is”What I miss about being a child is that there are less responsibilities, but you don’t recognize it until it’s too late.” [I forget whom it is by, so I apologize to whoever said it :)] I believe that this is true because all we as humans do is either look to the future or to the past. [This is exactly what I am doing now.] I haven’t had the easiest childhood, but the happy moments in my childhood were fantastic. I wish that I could have everything in the world, without having consequences to them. Everything was easier to handle when we were children… even the care-free summer days, hours at a time spent outside playing games and exploring seems better to me than the harsh adult life, which I have only just begun. Let me take you on a journey through one of my favorite feelings as a child. 

When I was younger, one of my favorite things in the world was to feel the ground between my toes, and today, I got to do that. I was enjoying the company of my best friend, Ashley, and we went outside barefooted. The mud swallowed my footly friends and I felt like a little kid again. The feeling was refreshing as the mud oozed between my toes. When I took my first step in the sloshy world, I grinned like a five-year-old on Christmas morning! What happened to me as I grew up to not go out into nature without shoes on? I have no idea how to even begin to answer that question, but I do know that I would like to do it again; my inner child awoke from a deep sleep. It felt like I was walking on a cloud with the wind beneath my feet. It felt like I was on a magical adventure for the first time. Feeling the mud felt fantastic and I wish the world would slow down and take some time to enjoy the simple things Mother Nature provides for us. How often do we drive by the same things and not notice them? Next time you need to go a short distance, take a walk or a bike ride before you get in that car; you may begin to notice all of the things you ignored previously. I challenge you to go for a walk and feel the air entwine with your soul. Become a kid again; take your shoes off and take a stroll in the mud.
                                                                ~Marlane
I hope you enjoyed! 
~This is MY life as Liz. xD

1 comment:

  1. Excellent interview! I had no idea you were artistic. : )

    -Brandon

    ReplyDelete